Papers, Please were released during the game development. The beta builds are free, and the latest version can be downloaded from dukope.com. Unlike the release version, betas support user-created mods. The assets needed to alter graphics and in-game text (names, etc.) are available for free on the beta download page.
List of differences Edit
- Shaddy Safadi's lines are slightly different in the early versions of the beta.
- Workers who have an expired work pass can be arrested.
- Forged entry permits and work passes can appear on day 8. This will not happen until day 11 in the release version.
- Feminine male or masculine female entrants cannot be arrested.
- The EZIC Messenger will not show up. Instead, a randomly generated entrant delivers the paper on day 8.
- The date on the entry approval and entry denial stamps are always 23rd November, 1982.
- The data pages of all foreign passports are different from the release version.
- Entrants flee after they hear gunshots on day 2.
- Entrants do not flee during the terrorist attack on day 6.
- Only the first booth upgrade (hit space bar to enter inspection mode) is available on day 2. The next upgrade would become available at the end of day 8 in the full version.
- Official bulletin has instructions for booth, but they are not shown in rulebook until day 8.
- Beta version does not have diplomatic seals.
- Volume and screen size cannot be adjusted.
- Minor variations in sprite artwork, primarily simpler palettes and a larger use of dithering.